Phone / Extension No.
Sat : 8.30am – 12.30pm
Dr. Gopinath Mathavan
MBBS (MAHE), MS Ortho (USM), MSc Trauma & Orthopaedics (Manchester, UK)
AM (Malaya), CMIA (NIOSH)
Dr. Gopinath Mathavan obtained his medical degree from Manipal, India. He completed his specialist training in Orthopaedic Surgery at Universiti Sains Malaysia and further pursued a Masters in Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgery at Manchester, United Kingdom. He has keen interest in trauma, foot & ankle surgery, sports (arthroscopic surgery) and joint replacement surgery and has completed fellowship attachments under the tutelage of world renowned experts in hospitals in Manchester, United Kingdom and in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
What is the role of an Orthopaedic Surgeon?
An Orthopaedic Surgeon is involved in all aspects of healthcare pertaining to the musculoskeletal system. It is a specialty with incredible breadth and depth to treat a variety of diseases pertaining to the bones, joints, tendons, ligaments, nerves and skin. In a field known for it’s innovation and evolving technological advancement, the orthopaedic surgeon plays a critical role in diagnosis, treatment, prevention and rehabilitation of the musculoskeletal system.
When do you need to see an Orthopaedic Surgeon?
You should always seek medical advice from an Orthopaedic Surgeon if you have pain in your ankles, knees, hips, wrists, elbows, shoulders and back or have experienced any of the following symptoms:
- Injuries to the musculoskeletal system (bones, joint, muscle, ligaments, tendons).
- Sports injuries leading to joint instability and inability to return to sports.
- Difficulty in using limbs to perform daily functions (e.g. walking up stairs, clumsiness on handling objects).
- Mechanical joint pain – worsening with activities.
- An untreated or worsening joint deformity.
- Signs of infection including heat, pain, redness and reduced movement over the joint.
- Restriction of joint movement.
- An untreated or worsening degenerative disease such as osteoarthritis or osteoporosis.
- Numbness or pain radiating down the upper limbs or lower limbs.
- Ulcers and wounds involving the limbs.